It is the latest blow to Trump’s reputation and his presidency, but Republican Rep. Joe Barton says he will not be swayed by a “witch hunt” in Washington.
“I’m not going to let this witch hunt go on,” Barton told reporters Thursday after his office said he was cleared of all charges.
The allegations against Barton were filed in a federal court in California on Wednesday.
He is the second top Trump adviser to be cleared of wrongdoing in two weeks.
Last week, the Justice Department said it would investigate claims that Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort paid former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych’s son a kickback for the 2016 election.
Manafort denies any wrongdoing.
A day after Barton’s news conference, the Republican National Committee released a statement saying it was “disappointed and alarmed” that Barton’s name had been released.
“Our team will continue to work to hold those responsible accountable and we hope that the Department of Justice will take swift action against these individuals,” the RNC statement said.
Barton’s attorney said the congressman had not been contacted by the DOJ, and that the charges are “baseless and baseless.”